Treatment and medicines vary according to the cause of knee problems.
Your doctor may prescribe medicines to offer relief from the knee pain and treat conditions causing your knee pain like gout or rheumatoid arthritis.
Strengthening your knee muscles might cure your knee injury and give fast relief by stabilising your knee muscles. Based on your condition, some physical therapy and strengthening exercises might be recommended by your doctor. You may also need the training to correct your movement patterns, improve your flexibility and balance.
Arch support might also help. In this process, wedges are used on one side of the heel to shift the pressure. It helps shift pressure from the side of the knee affected the most by osteoarthritis. Different types of braces might also be used to support your knee joint.
In some cases, medication and therapy can be effective for knee injuries. To get more reliable information and understand the best treatment method according to your condition, you might consider undergoing knee pain treatment in Mumbai.
Certain medicines or other substances might also be injected directly into your knee joint by the doctor. They include:
- Corticosteroids: These injections help minimise the signs of an arthritis flare and get relief from the pain.
- Hyaluronic acid: To improve mobility and ease the pain, a thick fluid called hyaluronic acid might be injected directly into your knees.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): PRP is a concentrated solution of many different growth factors that minimises inflammation and enhances the healing of the knee joint.
Your injury might require surgery, but it is not necessary to get it done immediately. Before you opt for surgery, you must consider its pros and cons. The various types of surgeries for knee injury include:
- Arthroscopic Surgery: Your knee damage may be examined or repaired using a long narrow tool and a fibre-optic camera. Various small incisions are made around your knee to insert these tools.
- Partial knee replacement surgery: The damaged portion of your knee is replaced with metal and plastic parts in this procedure. Small incisions are made to carry forward this surgery; hence the recovery is fast.
- Total knee replacement: The damaged bone and cartilage of your shinbone, thighbone and kneecap is replaced with artificial joints made of high-grade plastics, polymers and metal alloys.
- Osteotomy: A bone from your thigh bone and shinbone is removed to align the thigh better and help arthritis pain relief.
With advancements in technology, new surgery methods have been introduced, like robotic knee surgery in Mumbai and other major cities. The surgery method doesn't accompany any underlying risks or complications.